Below are the items that you should bring to your windsurfing lesson:
1. Sunscreen - Do not forget to wear sunscreen SPF 30 or higher (the water proof kind). Wear sunscreen even if it is overcast, because the clouds do not stop the dangerous UV rays.
2. Jellyfish protection: either cover your skin with clothes or I recommend buying Safe Sea before your lesson. This is a protectant against Jellyfish which have stinging tentacles. These creatures can also be found in Mud Lake in late summer. I have not found this product sold locally. It can be ordered over the internet.
3. Food and snacks of your choice
4. Water and other drinks of your choice
5. If you wear glasses, please bring a lanyard to secure glasses around your head.
6. Adult life jacket if you want to wear one. Each child MUST wear a life jacket during their windsurfing lesson. Our lessons are typically in waist deep water.
7. $5 per car entrance fee if your lesson is at the Texas City Dike or Levee (weekend only). This is the city's entrance fee
8. Towel and change of clothes.
What to wear
1. Swimsuit and sun protective clothing such as a long-sleeved rashguard like the surfers wear. If you do not want to buy Safe Sea, I recommend wearing long sleeve rash guard, leggings, yoga pants, or check out those Hybrid Angler pants with zip off legs to protect from possible stings (no jeans).
Under Armour Factory Stores: either in Cyprus or Texas City Outlet Malls
2. Snug fitting footwear such as water shoes or sneakers that you can wear in the water. You MUST wear footwear in all the windsurfing locations due to ??? and sharp-edged oyster shells.
Flip Flops or Crocs are NOT acceptable for in water fun.
Where to buy these footwear? "Surf shops", "Diving shops, Academy, Sun & Ski, REI, Sports Authority. You can find "cheap" water shoes at Buc-ee’s (6201 Gulf Fwy exit 17, Texas City), Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc.
Most “windsurfers" find that after 1 or 2 uses in the water, the cheap shoes become very uncomfortable because the soles keep coming out as you move around on the board.
3. Hat that floats or tied to your shirt
See you there!